Turkish Neurosurgery 2007 , Vol 17 , Num 3
Ultrasound Examination in the Surgical Treatment of Lower Extremity Peripheral Nerve Injuries: Part II
Cengiz ăOKLUK, Keramettin AYDIN
Ondokuzmayřs University, Medical Faculty, Department of Neurosurgery, Samsun, Turkey OBJECTIVE: The aim of this clinical study was to evaluate the benefits of ultrasonographic imaging in the surgical treatment of lower extremity peripheral nerve lesions.

METHODS: Peripheral nerves in the lower extremity were evaluated by using real-time utrasonographic examination. The capabilty of ultrasonography in terms of determination the type of injury, the position of the proximal and distal nerve stumps, the presence or absence of a neuroma, and perilesional scar tissue were evaluated.

RESULTS: Twenty-two cases with lower extremity peripheral nerve injuries aged between 21-52 years old were included in this study. Five (23%) had femoral nerve injuries and 17 (77%) sciatic nerve injuries. Atotal nerve transsection was diagnosed in 1 (5%) case while the remaining 21 (95%) cases had incomplete sectioning of the nerves.

CONCLUSION: Preoperative and intraoperative ultrasonography for lower extremity peripheral nerve lesions may be used in the description of the degree of injury, determination of complete or incomplete nerve sectioning, the presence of hematoma and foreign body, the continuity of the nerve, determination of nerve stumps, perilesional scar tissue, and the presence of neuroma. Keywords : Lower extremity, Peripheral nerve injury, Surgical treatment, Ultrasonography

Corresponding author : Cengiz ăokluk, cengizcokluk@yahoo.com